World Cardiovascular Health Day falls on 29 September. Find out more about your heart with AcuMed!
What are Cardiovascular Diseases?
It is a general term that describes a disease of the heart or blood vessels. The most common examples are heart attack and stroke.
What should I know about Cardiovascular Diseases?
- Each day, 15 people die from such diseases in Singapore
- The number of deaths from cardiovascular diseases in Singapore has been increasing
- It can affect all ages and population groups, not just the elderly
- Almost 30% of deaths in 2015 were due to cardiovascular diseases
- It is the leading cause of death globally
What contributes to these diseases?
- High blood Pressure
- Excessive stress
- High cholesterol
- Excessive alcohol intake
What can I do to manage my risk?
Prevention is always better than cure. A healthy lifestyle can go a long way in reducing the chances of cardiovascular diseases. Some tips include:
- Maintain a healthy weight (BMI <23)
- Don’t smoke
- Exercise at least 150 minutes each week
- Limit salt and fat intake
- Avoid excessive alcohol intake
- Go for regular health screening
In conjuction with World Cardiovascular Day, we have a health screening package for your heart.
If you have not done a health screening in recent years, please give us a call to see if you need to do so.